Friday, June 11, 2010

Old story of Bill Wilson

This is documented. Bill had a history of Depression and fought it throughout his life. When he was sober for several years he called his Spiritual advisor, Father Ed Dowling, in St. Louis. Bill stated he was having trouble and needed to talk to him or he may drink! Father Ed told Bill, I know what your trouble is, but you will need to wait until I arrive in New York. I need to tell you this Face to Face. Bill agreed and told him to hurry up! Father arrived in New York and Bill met him at the Train Station. They went to a Diner and talked over Lunch. Father Ed told Bill, "If you don't want to drink, then you must do what I will tell you to do". Bill said, "OK, what do I have to do?" Father Ed said, "Bill, you have to work the steps!" Bill said, " I wrote the steps!!" Father said, "I know, but you never worked them!" It is documented that Bill worked a 5th Step with Ed at that time. The whole story is; He worked all the steps at that time. That's refreshing to know. Everyone one of us, even the guys who started all this, need an occasional push. We are all JUST HUMAN, and can fall short a whole lot of the time.

1 comment:

  1. As Bill himself said of that incident: "I releived myself of my commissions and my ommissions"..............Or as my dear, dear sponsor put it. "Take a 5th or drink a 5th
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

    ReplyDelete