Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I need to find a Sponsor......

People in my business have been telling people for years to: Look around and find someone you can relate to. If someone would have told me that, I would have went back to the bar. I can relate to the person sitting next to me on a bar stool. I tell him two lies and buy him a drink. He tells me two lies and buys me a drink. I can relate to that. I couldn't relate to someone telling me the truth about myself and what I needed to do to change. I tell people to do what has been done since the beginning. In 1941 the first meeting schedule was developed in Cleveland. In the back of that schedule it told you how to get a sponsor. It says the same today, no need to change! "The secretary in turn finds a sponsor". If I used my head (what a mess that thing was) to find a sponsor, it would be a bad idea. If someone who was sober for a bit and had a home group roster to choose from, chances are a more able sponsor would be appointed. Keep it Simple!! Time for a cup of coffee, see ya later. Bob

1 comment:

  1. That was a lovely post, howver a very sad staement on the thought paradigm of A.A. today.
    I sponsored a guy in the 1/2 way house. I gave him 2 rolls of pennies and said" You are going to be here 90 days, here's 90 pennies" Everytime the basket goes by put a penny in it. This is being done to teach you to respect the fellowship that is going to save your life.
    You'd a thought I just killed Christ!!......Sad!

    ReplyDelete