Friday, November 6, 2009

Who's helping who?

When I got sober my sponsor told me that I am here to help you! Shortly after that, he told me, "you are doing a good job keeping a lot of people sober". I didn't understand that. He said, "how do you think us old timers stay sober? By helping you!" This recovery thing is a two-way street. I help the new person and he gets sober (or maybe not). While I'm doing that, I am bolstering my own recovery. Step Twelve stuff. I believe that statement, The most important person in the room is that new person. Without him, how would I continue to build my own recovery. By myself? We know how well that worked in the past. Boy, I love this AA stuff! Time for a cup of coffee, see ya later. Bob

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob!
    I couldn't agree with you more. The new person is an important person in the room. And I believe what you say regarding the most important thing you can give the new person is the meeting schedule. I know it was for me and it is the first thing that I give to a new person.
    However, I would also suggest that you keep an eye on the guy who has a year and is feeling a let down after all the hype. And could be thinking "is this all there is to it?" Or the guy with 5 years who is having a hard time really digging in to do the hard work on his character defects. Or the guy with 20 years who thinks he has it and really doesn't need meetings anymore. Or has gotten everything he needs from a meeting. Really I think everyone in the rooms is important. Including the "old-timer" like you who does show the way to the new person, but we need to make sure more of us become "old-timers." Great blog!! Just want to encourage you to keep going and dont give up posting. Talk to you soon.
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comment! I need all the help I can get. Your comment is just a little bit more help for a drunk like me. Thanks a bunch. Bob

    ReplyDelete