Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Meeting makers make it......

I like that saying. Here's another one I like too: People who don't go to meetings, never hear what happens to people who don't go to meetings. So simple! I went to 16 meetings a week when I first got sober. Finally got a part time job and cut back to 14 meetings. Got a full time job and cut back to 12. During that period of time I had too much free time, even going to all those meetings. I would tell me Mom, that I was safe when I was at a meeting. My Mom would say, not as safe as we are! I put together a group of sober people who I hung with all the time. When I would get the thought that I should cut back on meetings, they would show up at my house and drag me to a meeting. I got married at 8 years and cut back to 9 meetings a week. That worked fine. The last 10 years I still go to 6 meetings a week, and if my wife is mad at me, I go to 7 or 8. Sitting at a meeting is a place where I can be assured of some quality time for myself! I like it that way, and so does my Mom and my Wife. Time for a cup of coffee, see ya later.

1 comment:

  1. I have to give you a lot of credit Bob, working with new people everyday. It is not easy! How do you deal with people who are obviously not being honest with you and more importantly themselves?

    I tried to remember what I was like when I came in....I suppose I wanted certain people to believe that I was "okay."

    When in reality I had no idea what okay was. At that time being okay meant not being behind bars or in the hospital. Today it means a whole lot more.

    Enjoy the coffee Bob.

    ReplyDelete