Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who shouldn't go to AA?

Over the years, I have been asked to meet with Judges and the sorts in Cleveland, Ohio, and address this question. I came up with a presentation. It goes like this: I understand that the courts were beginning to see AA as a cult, religion, and on and on. So, I would meet with Judges. I would ask them a simple question, Who would you see as someone who would not make it in AA? They would respond with these and more: 1. Someone who heard about AA and didn't like what they heard. 2. Someone who didn't want to have a Sponsor. 3. Someone who was sure they would never want to tell others their story. 4. Someone who had no intention on doing that 5th step. 5. Someone who could not see that they have amends to make. 6. Someone who couldn't see how a morning or evening prayer was something they would do. 7. Someone who just couldn't see them self going to meetings. 8. Someone who didn't like those stories, and for sure would never want to tell one. 9. Someone who says they never hurt anyone else. 10. and the list went on and on. Here's the punch line to this presentation: After I had this all up on a Blackboard, I would stand back and gaze at it. Then I would say, "this list you just told me and I put it up as you said it, describes me when I first came around. I wonder why I stayed?" So, to end this talk I would have them seeing that the whole issue is to make sure the new person IS NOT JUST SENT TO AA! That, like they did in the old days, they were connected up with someone who is already a member and comfortable with this way of life. We all come in with a lot of baggage, and preconceived notions of what AA is or isn't. We need them to be with a seasoned veteran to help them fit in and get into this way of life. That works best! Time for a cup of coffee, see ya later.

1 comment:

  1. Are you suggesting that judges/court systems call the AA central office and hook potential candidates with a sponsor before coming to AA? I know that is how they did it in the beginning. Guys would go to the hospitals looking for prospects and do the first three steps with them before they even made it to their first meeting.
    Before there was an AA. at the Oxford group you needed to be sponsored in or vouched for before coming into the group.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to go back to that procedure. It sure would stop all of those people who bounce in with all their preconceived ideas and bounce out with more resentments than they came in with, blackening the eye of AA out there for other potentials...but what would it do for others who just dont know?
    I remember telling my attorney that I thought AA was a cult and that I wasn't planning on going back. He was not in the program. He did not argue. All he said to me was that he thought it was a spiritual program and not a cult. That was all it took. I stayed. Where else did I have to go? Back to the bars? Back to jail?
    And who would central office pick? Would the twelfth step become only for the worthy old timers?

    I am not disagreeing with you...just not sure its the best solution.

    Take care. Enjoy the coffee.

    ReplyDelete