Tuesday, March 3, 2009

WHICH VOICE IS TALKING....

I work with new folks everyday. I listen to them very closely. Whenever they talk, I ask myself which voice was that? I see us as having two very distinct voices. A voice in a recovery mode and a voice in the addiction mode. In early recovery, that voice of addiction talks very loud, and the voice of recovery is very soft. I see that as the most important reason for getting a social sober support system. When I talk they can remind me which voice is talking. The voices that directs me will be louder and help me drown out that voice that wants "TO KILL ME, AND GO ON WITHOUT ME". I see folks who sober up, and think, "boy I'm doing great now!", and go on their way alone. That last quote was the voice of addiction! An old lady I once knew had a term I liked. She said, "See How hard I Try". She calls that the SHIT syndrome. Anything the disease voice can tell me and get away with it, is a little closer to satisfying the addictions thirst. Being in a support system is clearly the most important place for the new person to be. This disease fights DIRTY. We need to fight it dirty. Two against one is the best way to fight it. If we try to fight this disease fairly, we have already lost. Lets gang up on this disease and take it out, once and for all. Time for a cup of coffee, see ya later.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post and the concept of "which voice is talking...."

    I also appreciate that you said it clearly, concisely, and in short order.

    Prayer Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot help but notice you read one of my blog efforts. So I'm visiting your place, very interesting.

    Boy, you must see them ALL! (Well in almost 35 years, just in AA meetings, I've also seen a lot I guess!)

    I do not have a Harley. Age 76 soon, I'm a scooter guy, a Suzuli Bergman (HA! Executive -grin!) 650cc. no gear shift, it'll do 120, 95 of that I'm certain, even in a 45 zone on US 41 in Naples FL...early in the morning, on way to 6 AM daily meeting. I take my pick of two, the 6, 7, or 8 AM. LOVE 'em!

    Steve E.

    ReplyDelete